The Language Committee is a state body under the RA Ministry of Education, Science, Culture, and Sports, which participates in policy-making in the field of language, ensures the implementation of that policy and the realization of the requirements of the RA Law “On Language”.
The State Language Inspectorate was established under the Government of the Republic of Armenia by the decision of the RA Government № 531, on October 19, 1993. In 2002, the State Language Inspectorate was reorganized and became a separate subdivision of the RA Ministry of Education and Science. According to the RA Law on “Public Administration Bodies”, the Language Inspectorate has been operating as a Language Committee since 2018.
The goals and objectives of the Language Committee are:
1) Protection of the interests of the state language of the Republic of Armenia, elaboration of a unified state policy in the field of language, and ensuring the implementation of that policy.
2) Ensuring the functioning of Armenian as a state language in every sphere of life of the Republic.
3) Ensuring the realization of the requirements of the RA Law on “Language", laws regulating the use of the Armenian language, other legal acts, as well as the state program of the language policy of the Republic of Armenia
4) Promotion of the regulation of the official language of the Republic of Armenia - the modern literary Armenian, the principles of terminology, orthography, transcription, punctuation, as well as the unification of orthography.
5) Contribution to the preservation and dissemination of the Armenian language among the Armenians residing outside the borders of the Republic of Armenia.
6) Ensuring the free use of the languages of national minorities in the territory of the Republic of Armenia.
7) Improving the legislation regulating the language sector based on language study, analysis, and assessment.